14 October 2006

Meet the Parents

Over the past week I had the oppotunity to meet my girlfriend's (Mai's) parents. I had already met her mom twice in Calgary, so this was the big first meeting of her dad. We all went out for dinner at an amazing Japanese restaurant, the name escapes me at the moment. The ambience was too bright (Note: I don't like bright restaurants) but overall it was probably/guaranteed the best Japanese food I've ever had. The steak I had was excellent.

Anyway, back to meeting the parents. Like I said I have met Mai's mom before, but never her dad. His sense of humour is quite funny as is Mai's mom. They are always laughing at something together. I never quite know what because it's usually in Japanese. Mai got mad at me because I drank my drink before she got hers. This is my blog, so of course it was not my fault. As any beer drinker knows, it is proper drinking behaviour to drink beer while it's freshly poured to enjoy the head. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. If others choose not to drink beer, that's their fault, haha.

Apart from Mai saying I drank too soon, I don't think I made any major glaring errors in meeting her dad for the first time. (They even said my use of chopsticks was good) We've been invited to Beijing, and at somepoint I'm sure we will go. Unfortunately Mai's dad had to go after dinner, but it was a good visit. Her mom stayed for 3 days, so I had a chance to get to know her a little better.

It was extremely nice of her to make my breakfast before I went to work. The last night she was here, the 3 of us went for Thai food at 'Bangkok', a really nice little restaurant. The food was quite good, I even had pineapple chicken served in a whole pineapple. We had a few other dishes and a few drinks. Unfortunately Mai was sick, so she didn't eat much, and we left early because she looked like she was dying slightly. On the cab ride home, she threatened to puke all over me, but that never happened thankfully. I for some reason began to feel a little queezy as well on the ride home, but didn't think anything of it. When we got home, Mai basically went straight to bed, and I watched some TV. I don't know if it was the food or the TV, but my dinner decided it was going to make a reappearance. Here's a conversation between me and my stomach.

Stomach: Did you enjoy your dinner?

Me: Yes I did, the beer was good too.

Stomach: Yah I forgot to tell you, I don't like spicey food and beer.

Me: What? Since when, I drink beer almost every time I go out for dinner.

Stomach: Eh, even so, since you liked it so much, why not have another look!

Me: Hmmmmm, no.

Stomach: Ummmm, too bad, here it is!

Now I've heard of the weekend flu, even the 24 hour flu, but never have I had the 20 minute flu. This was weird, but the origin of my stomach ache has been narrowed down to either the spices in the soup, possibly bad chicken (it was in pineapple so I can forgive it if it's guilty) and maybe the Thai beer I had, possible too bubbly. Anyway, I really didn't feel bad for more than 20 minutes, the next day after a long sleep I was perfectly normal. Unfortunately I seem to have contracted Sars from Mai (jk), as my head is kinda not right, and my throat has been better, lets hope it's just the AC.

No comments: