08 October 2006

I ate a mooncake, but not my mooncake (I did)

UPDATE!
I ate my mooncake! It was awesome!

***Orignally Posted Sept 28th
I still have yet to eat the mooncake I purchased with so much anticipation, but Mai got 8! of them as a gift from work, so we had one. I have to say I actually liked it quite a bit. Apparantly there are all kinds of them though, so I'm not sure if it's the same kind as I bought. Also they make them out of ice cream, jelly, and the fillings are all different, but the tradition
al one is as follows:

"Traditional mooncakes are typically baked and consists of a thin tender skin enveloping a sweet and slightly oily filling. The moon cake can also contain single or multiple whole salted egg yolks in its center to symbolize the full moon. The saltiness of the yolk balances well with the sweet filling in the mooncake. Although rarely so, mooncakes can also be steamed or fried.

Traditional mooncakes have an imprint on top consisting of the Chinese characters for "logevity" or "harmony" as well as the name of the bakery and filling in the moon cake. Imprints of a moon, a woman on the moon, flowers, vines, or a rabbit may surround the characters for additional decoration.

Mooncakes are expensive and are considered a delicay. Making them and their fillings is also a labor intensive process; as such, few people make them at home and choose instead to purchase them at Asian markets and bakeries."

The best description I have for them is a hockey puck. They are about the same size, and are pretty heavy for a tiny little cake, and damned expensive! I'm glad Mai got 8 free little ones, they are yummy, and she doesn't like them so I get them all! Woohoo!

No comments: