15 March 2007

Steamed...

I...hate...white rice...

Unfortunately, I live in Asia. They eat a little bit of the stuff every now-and-then. It is not the rice I hate so much actually, it is the rice on its own I hate ever so much. There is nothing so bland in the world as eating plain white rice. Everytime I cook rice at home, it is usually drenched in some form of 'taste encouraging' sauce. It just doesn't appeal to me on its own. I'd rather eat plain white toast with a glass of water.

Today, and every other Thursday/Tuesday, I have the choice of eating rice, rice, and more rice at the school I teach at. I have no other complaints about this school other than the food. It's gawd-awful. Everyone complains, not just me. I don't see why one of the richest kindergartens in HK can not provide better lunches for their staff. I would happily go buy my own, I don't care, it's just that I'm not allowed to leave the school during my work hours. So I'm stuck eating plain bland white dry sticky bland bland rice most days. Every once in a blue moon, they cook plain ol' white noodles to spice things up. Wow that's so much better.

There is always a selection of soggy green coloured wigglys resembling vegetables to put on the rice, and usually some mystery meat type substance, or soggy chicken wings. Most of the time I can stomach the ham and pork substance, but whatever they put out today appeals to me less than Victoria Harbour garbage. It was the worst looking thing I've ever seen called food. So today, I eat rice. What do I get for a side dish? Rice. My desert? Rice. Mmmmmm, and for snack later? Rice.

I'm going to buy a whole cow tonight and make myself 10 steaks...

No comments: